Subject: bug#6076: 23.1.96; [PATCH] rcirc-complete for nicks and commands

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 10:24:35 +0200

> I reviewed Leo's updated patch at http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6076#47
> I agree with Leo, we should install this patch and then look into
> improvements using completion in region.

I mostly agree, but I think the patch should first be restructured into
one or 2 functions suitable for completion-at-point-functions
(i.e. either one that provides the completion data for nicks and
commands, or one for nicks and one for commands), and then an
rcirc-complete command that uses these functions to do the completion
with the desired UI.

I.e. basically a refactoring of rcirc-complete such that it uses the
same interface between the completion data and the completion UI as the
one used by completion-at-point.

Then users can choose to use rcirc-complete or completion-at-point, and
when/if completion-at-point (i.e. completion-in-region) gets to the
point of being able to provide the same behavior as rcirc-complete, then
we can get rid of rcirc-complete.

        Stefan