Subject: bug#6076: 23.1.96; [PATCH] rcirc-complete for nicks and commands

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 22:14:28 +0300

>> Isearch-like mode would be a good thing.  Typing a key not bound
>> in its mode map will leave this mode and hide the *Completions* buffer.
>
> Right.  But choosing which keys/events make it leave because we want it
> to be very lightweight (i.e. we want to leave as soon as possible), but
> we'd rather not leave when the user is still editing the completion.
>
> So self-insert-command should not leave, but then SPC (and several
> others likewise) probably should (even tho it's also
> self-insert-command) and maybe DEL shouldn't either, but what about
> C-f/C-b?  I was thinking maybe we should decide it based on the position
> of point (whether it's still inside the completion text or not).

This is something that in other programs is called "in-place editing".
Usually a field for editing is highlighted with a different background.
In terms of Emacs this could be called "in-place completion".  For its
implementation the most suitable feature is the `field' property.
When completion is activated, a field could be created in the buffer
and removed when completion is finished.  I suggest using the same
key to finish completion as in the minibuffer, i.e. RET.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/