Subject: Re: bug#60758: 29.0.60; while-let uses if-let* convention in contradiction to the docstring

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:13:55 +0100

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> We should fix the docstring or the code; there's still a bug if I just
> revert my change.  I haven't reviewed the old thread but it sounds like
> a decision was already taken to fix the docstring instead.
> Do you agree?  If so, I'll replace my change.

I'm not Eli, but I think you should fix the docstring.

Here is some part of the discussion I have found:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-03/msg00052.html

Summary: We underestimated how many packages used the macros when we had
declared the old versions (without "*") obsolete.  Lots of package
maintainers complained about the warnings they got - they could not
easily get rid of them without breaking backward compatibility of the
packages because if-let* etc (the new forms) are only available in newer
Emacs versions.  So we decided to keep the old variants for now to avoid
the trouble for them.

I'm not sure when it's the right time to do it.

Michael.