Subject: Re: bug#60758: 29.0.60; while-let uses if-let* convention in contradiction to the docstring

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:25:26 -0700

Hello,

On Sat 14 Jan 2023 at 04:31PM +01, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 1/13/23 01:37, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> > I agree that if-let is right, for these reasons.  Now fixed, thank
>> > you.
>
> The special case of a SPEC of the form (SYMBOL SOMETHING) is supported
> only for backward compatibility by `if-let'.  We wanted to get rid of
> this special syntax anomaly.
>
> So it makes no sense to add this syntax to newly introduced macros.  We
> should fix the docstring of `while-let' instead - unless the goal of
> getting rid of this syntax has changed.  But then we should have a
> discussion first.  Instead it seems you just reverted a change by Lars
> that was the result of a discussion in emacs-dev.

Are you saying there was a while-let-specific discussion?

I did vc-annotate and saw that the code I was changing was in the first
commit of the new macro.

-- 
Sean Whitton