Subject: Re: bug#60753: [PATCH] gnu: home: Add home-emacs-service-type.

From: David Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 11:25:29 +0200

Thanks for the feedback, Ludo!

I'll make the requested changes and send them later today.  I may also
try adding some tests to ensure that the output is what we expect.
There seems to be a `tests/services` folder, should I add a
`tests/home-services` folder to match?

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> It would be nice if you could start the section with a few sentences
> explaining the rationale and what’s being described here.

Will do, I'll look at other services to get an idea of the best way to
do this.

> What about accepting sexps (or gexps) instead of strings?  As in:
>
>   (init-file '((require 'whatever) (setq something t)))
>
> Also I find it confusing that it’s either text or files.  In the code it
> has type ‘text-config’, which means list of file-like objects IIUC, no?

Yes, this was a misunderstanding on my part!

Regarding using s-expressions for this, it would certainly look cleaner.
Andrew raises a good concern about it in his response, I'll take a look
at what RDE does for this and see if I can adopt a similar approach.

> Nitpick: I think this should be ‘load-path’ (singular), because it’s one
> search path (i.e., a list of directories).
>
> And: s/Additional load paths/Additional directories/

Will change both of these, thanks!

> Would be nice to have a couple of commented examples here, like you had
> in the first message in this thread.  :-)

Yep, I'll add examples for all the use cases here.

> Would be nice to have a sentence above, like “This service type can be
> extended with @code{home-emacs-extension} records, described below:”.

Will describe and give an example of how to extend the service!

David