Subject: Re: bug#6075: Lucid trunk build crashes at start

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:48:02 -0400

> I can't reproduce this.

Now, I sometimes can and sometimes can't.  Still investigating.

> I used your configure flags, and tried with Xaw3d and straight Xaw.
> I guess it is some memory corruption or aligment problem.

I saw it on all my machines (tho admittedly, they're all running pretty
much the same Debian testing).  I tried "xrdb -remove" but it didn't help.

> Can you compile without Xaw3d and just use standard Xaw?

You mean without-toolkit-scroll-bars?  Good idea...
Hmm... configure still says "Does Emacs use -lXaw3d? yes".
But I'm not sure yet if it helps (I haven't seen it crash
without-toolkit-scroll-bars, but since then I haven't seen it crash on
that same machine with Xaw3d scroll bars either).

> You don't have that gcc 4.4 memcpy bug?

You mean the 4.5 bug?  No, I have Debian's 4.4.2.

> Does it happen wih -O0 also?

Yup.

> If you compiled Xaw3d yourself, recompile it with debug and run gdb to
> the crash.

The crash I showed was with a hand-compiled Xaw3d with debug info
(actually an Xaw3d with some local changes so that you can dynamically
choose the Xaw-style or the motif-arrow-style scrollbars).  But the
backtrace is in Xt code, not in Xaw(3d) code.

        Stefan