Subject: bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 15:10:01 +0200

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:09:34 +0100
> 
> Unfortunately there is a major bug in transient, which I am struggling
> to fix.  I have a working solution but it is quite abstruse and still
> needs testing.  I also have a nicer solution that doesn't really work
> yet.  If I knew I had time, I would work on the latter.  But since the
> pre-release could happen any time now, I should probably work on the
> former.

What kind of time frame are you talking when you say "if I knew I had
time"?

> Please warn me a day before you create the pre-release, so I can switch
> my focus in time to merge the best solution I can come up by then into
> Emacs.

Will do.

> I probably won't have time to fix isearch-emoji-by-name by then.  One
> problem is that emoji (not just this particular command) uses transient
> in a way it was never intended to be used.  I pointed that out when it
> was originally added.  But somehow it worked, so I never got around to
> redo it.
> 
> I have actually rewritten how emoji uses transient a day ago, and while
> it works in principal, it is not finished yet.  I had some faint hope
> that doing so would also magically fix isearch-emoji-by-name.  It did
> not.  But it lays the ground work for doing that eventually.
> 
> I don't have the time to do that anymore.  It would probably be best to
> remove this command from Emacs 29.0.90.

Since the command works for many Emoji, I prefer to leave it and live
with the known issues.

Thanks.