Subject: Re: bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:09:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:43:56 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Ping!  Any progress with this issue?
>> 
>> I have worked on it but haven't gotten anywhere yet.
>> I'll try again tomorrow.
>
> Thanks.  I thought you wanted to install a newer version of Transient,
> and that the new version solves this problem?  Which is why I thought
> it would be a relatively simple job.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

Unfortunately there is a major bug in transient, which I am struggling
to fix.  I have a working solution but it is quite abstruse and still
needs testing.  I also have a nicer solution that doesn't really work
yet.  If I knew I had time, I would work on the latter.  But since the
pre-release could happen any time now, I should probably work on the
former.

Please warn me a day before you create the pre-release, so I can switch
my focus in time to merge the best solution I can come up by then into
Emacs.

I probably won't have time to fix isearch-emoji-by-name by then.  One
problem is that emoji (not just this particular command) uses transient
in a way it was never intended to be used.  I pointed that out when it
was originally added.  But somehow it worked, so I never got around to
redo it.

I have actually rewritten how emoji uses transient a day ago, and while
it works in principal, it is not finished yet.  I had some faint hope
that doing so would also magically fix isearch-emoji-by-name.  It did
not.  But it lays the ground work for doing that eventually.

I don't have the time to do that anymore.  It would probably be best to
remove this command from Emacs 29.0.90.