Subject: bug#60722: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Using Tramp to sudo in Eshell doesn't change prompt sigil

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 10:09:58 +0100

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

> I didn't do this part though, since it wasn't so simple. Instead, I
> made the function (now named 'file-user-uid'[1]) work like the
> function 'exec-path'. Since the regular 'user-uid' is also a function,
> I think this implementation is the most straightforward.
>
> [1] I named it this way to mimic the relationship between
> 'start-process' and 'start-file-process'. (But 'user-file-uid' didn't
> sound right, so 'file-user-uid' it is.)

Fine with me. I've roughly scanned the patch, it looks OK. So I guess
you shall install it; if there's something left to do we can still do it
on master.

After that, I will add the implementation for ange-ftp.el and some tests
in tramp-tests.el, and I'll check whether the implementation of
tramp-archive-handle-file-user-uid is OK.

> diff --git a/doc/lispref/os.texi b/doc/lispref/os.texi
>
> +@defun file-user-uid
> +This function returns the connection-local for the user's effective

"connection-local value"

> diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
>
> +** New function 'file-user-uid'.
> +This function is like 'user-uid', but is aware of file name handlers,
> +so it will return the remote UID for remote files.

Perhaps you could also mention -1 as the "don't know" result.

Best regards, Michael.