Subject: bug#60711: closed (Re: bug#60711: Compose fails to generate≤ and ≥ (only those two! and only in emacs!))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60711: Compose fails to generate ≤ and ≥ (only those two! and only in emacs!)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60711: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60711
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60711: Compose fails to generate ≤ and ≥ (only those two! and only in emacs!)
From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
To: Marcin Kasperski <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:01:05 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

During a private exchange, the OP confirmed that this bug is fixed in 
Emacs 29 (with x-gtk-use-native-input set to t).

Closing.

Subject: Compose fails to generate ≤ and ≥ (only those two! and only in emacs!)
From: Marcin Kasperski <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 16:13:20 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I heavily use compose sequences while writing („CapsLock - >” – and I
get nice  „→”).

Since some recent emacs update (version below):

a) I can no longer generate ≤ and ≥ in Emacs

    All combinations (Compose >=, Compose >_, Compose _>) end the same:
    - after entering Compose > there is floating window hinting ≥
    - once I type =, puff, no character in the buffer, nothing.

b) Other Compose combinations I tried work.

    In particular Compose => works in Emacs and generates ⇒,
    Compose > > makes », Compose - > makes → and so on

    (can't guarantee everything works  but from dozens of combinations
    I use I found only those two to be problematic).

c) In all other applications ≥ and ≤ are properly generated with compose
    (tried gedit, terminator, firefox, vscode …)

So, for example, pressing
      a Compose < = b Compose < < c
in gedit/code/firefox results in
      a≤b«c
while in Emacs results in
      ab«c
(and really that, I tried saving file and hex-inspecting it, no
invisible character there).

Problem appeared after some recent update (most likely after I upgraded
to emacs 28 but I am not 100% sure, could be also related to Ubuntu
upgrade).

Problem reproduces in `emacs -Q`

Version I use now:

GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-05-31

(Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS,
 emacs from ppa https://launchpad.net/~kelleyk/+archive/ubuntu/emacs,
 KDE Plasma as window manager)