Subject: Re: bug#60711: Compose fails to generate ≤ and≥ (only those two! and only in emacs!)

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:36:38 +0800

Marcin Kasperski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Half-eureka.
>
> I found another application which also exhibits problematic behaviour
> (fails to display ≥ / ≤  and shows this strange popup).

The ``strange popup'' is being displayed by the input method because the
default overTheSpot input style used by xterm does not support preedit
callbacks.

> xterm
>
> At the same time gnome-terminal, konsole, terminator, xfce4-terminal are OK,
> compose works properly in them and there is no popup.
>
> So looks like „raw” X11 somehow misworks, while every desktop API
> manages to smooth it towards proper behaviour.

This is because the other programs use the input method module developed
by the input method developers for the toolkits they use: GTK+ and Qt.

In Emacs 29, there is an option to use them in Emacs as well: just turn
on `x-gtk-use-native-input'.