Subject: bug#60703: closed (Re: bug#60703: Patches to xwidget code)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 10:59:01 +0000

Your bug report

#60703: Patches to xwidget code

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60703: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60703
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60703: Patches to xwidget code
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew De Angelis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 12:57:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Andrew De Angelis <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 22:47:41 -0500
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Let me know if this ChangeLog is fine or you'd like me to make any changes.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

>  The first line of a doc string should be a single complete sentence.
> 
> I'm not sure I follow: in this case, isn't  this the first line: "Get the estimated load progress of XWIDGET, a
> WebKit widget."? It renders fine when I run `M-x apropos xwidget-webkit-estimated-load-progress`. But
> happy to make any additional changes if needed.

Please ignore that part: I was confused.

Please in the future always accompany the changes with a
ChangeLog-style commit log message, and mention the bug number there
if you know it.  Also, use of "git format-patch" is encouraged.  These
measures make the job of installing your changes much easier.

Subject: Patches to xwidget code
From: Andrew De Angelis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 00:14:28 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello everyone and thanks for all your work!

I have some fixes to the xwidget code that I'd like to contribute.

These should achieve three things
1) fix `xwidget-webkit-current-url' in xwidget.el so that it actually
displays the current URL
2) fix the Objective-C code in nsxwidget.m to eliminate memory leaks
3) implement the function `xwidget-webkit-estimated-load-progress' in
Objective-C, making this functionality available for macOS as well

Regarding 2), I have tested my changes with the Instruments app within the
XCode dev tools. I was able to test them on two different machines: a
MacBook Air M2 running macOS Ventura 13, and an Intel processor running
macOS Big Sur 11.6.7.
When testing with Instruments, it appears that Emacs isn't leaking memory
anymore. I am still seeing some leaks, but according to Instruments, the
responsible libraries are system libraries, and not Emacs itself.
If possible, I would appreciate it if other people can test/profile these
changes as well, and share their feedback.

Assuming the changes are correct and accepted, would it be possible to
include them in the upcoming Emacs 29.1 release?
Technically, none of these are new features; it's just fixes to existing
features.

I intend to keep working on xwidget support for macOS (fixing remaining
issues and implementing missing functionalities), but I'm not sure when
I'll be able to get to it; for now I'd like to start by contributing these
first major fixes.

Thanks in advance for your feedback; let me know if you need anything else
from me.

Best,
Andrew