Subject: [bug#60699] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add fwupd service.

From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2025 22:03:25 +0200

Hello,

I think it doesn't make much sense to make a shepherd service for fwupd.
Fwupd runs through dbus, so it can just be a dbus service. Then dbus
starts it on demand. Currently the package doesn't have the service
file, because it outputs it only when it has elogind in inputs. This
patch https://issues.guix.gnu.org/77752 fixes that. It also fixes check
for missing polkit policykit.

I think that fwupd service should:
- extend dbus root service type with (configurable) fwupd package
- extend polkit service type with (configurable) fwupd package

I will submit service like that in a few days.

For now, this can be used in one's config to make it work properly:
```
(simple-service 'dbus-fwupd
                dbus-root-service-type
                (list fwupd))
(simple-service 'polkit-fwupd
                polkit-service-type
                (list fwupd))
```
Polkit extension is needed only for fwupdmgr, not for fwupdtool,
this is also why fwupdmgr can be used without as non-root,
contrary to fwupdtool that needs root.
Dbus is needed for both for usage of all actions, some actions of
fwupdtool seem to not require it.

Regards,
Rutherther