Subject: Re: bug#60690: -P '\d' in GNU and git grep

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 08:31:44 -0700

On Mon, Apr 3, 2023 at 11:47 PM Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 2023-04-03 20:30, Jim Meyering wrote:
> > have you seen justification
> > (other than for compatibility with some other tool or language) for
> > allowing \d to match non-ASCII by default, in spite of the risks?
>
> In the example Ævar supplied in <https://bugs.gnu.org/60690>, my
> impression was that it was better when \d matched non-ASCII digits. That
> is, in a UTF-8 locale it's better when \d finds matches in these lines:
>
> >>      > git-gui/po/ja.po:"- 第１行: 何をしたか、を１行で要約。\n"
> >>      > git-gui/po/ja.po:"- 第２行: 空白\n"
>
> because they contain the Japanese digits "１" and "２". This was the only
> example I recall being given.

Before it was unintentionally enabled in grep-3.9, lines like that have
never been matched by grep -P's '\d'. By relaxing \d, we'd weaken
any application that uses say grep -P '^\d+$' to perform input
validation intending to ensure that some input is all ASCII digits.
It's not a big stretch to imagine that some downstream processor
of that "verified" data is not prepared to deal with multi-byte digits.

> Also, I find it odd that grep -P '^[\w\d]*$' matches lines containing
> any sort of Arabic word characters, but it rejects lines containing
> Arabic digits like "٣" that are perfectly reasonable in Arabic-language
> text. I also find it odd that [\d] and [[:digit:]] mean different things.
>
> There are arguments on the other side, otherwise we wouldn't be having
> this discussion. And it's true that grep -P '\d' formerly rejected
> Arabic digits (though it's also true that grep -P '\w' formerly rejected
> Arabic letters...). Still, the cure's oddness and incompatibility with
> Git, Perl, etc. appears to me to be worse than the disease of dealing
> with grep -P invocations that need to use [0-9] or LC_ALL="C" anyway if
> they want to be portable to any program other than GNU grep.

I'm primarily concerned about not introducing a persistent regression in
how GNU grep's -P '\d' works in multibyte locales. The corner cases you
mention do matter, of course, but are far less likely to matter in practice.