Subject: bug#60664: 30.0.50; init.el not read by Emacs

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 09:22:30 +0300

* Daniel Martín <[email-masked]> [2023-01-09 01:14]:
> > I can't tell what is happening, I have compiled new Emacs with make boostrap, but I see that init.el is not read. I can't see any error, neither --debug-init gives me errors.
> >
> > It is strange.
> 
> What do you mean by "is not read"?  Please, describe exactly how Emacs
> behaves (don't necessarily assume that Emacs is not reading your init.el
> file).

Thanks for putting attention.

I know it is not read because init.el is not loaded, I can check my
variables and I know it is not loaded. 

How I know it is not loaded?

For example I have initial-scratch-message and I don't see it. For
example I don't see my customized scratch buffer but default Emacs
buffer. For example Emacs starts too fast. 

> This may not be a bug but a configuration problem.  Check that there is
> not any init file in your computer that has precedence over init.el,
> namely ~/.emacs.el or ~/.emacs.

I do not have ~/.emacs.el or ~/.emacs 

I only have directoy ~/.emacs/

and inside is init.el

I did not change nothing, except that I built newest development
version of Emacs and instead of Lucid, my common toolkit, I came into
Gtk one. That is the only change I know.

emasc --debug-init does not give me any errors, nothing.

What I currently do, I load Emacs, then manually load init.el to get
my configuration.

Is there anyway for me to understand why is init.el not loaded?

  -rw-r--r--    1  18K Jan  2 11:41 init.el

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/