Subject: bug#60646: closed (Re: bug#60646: 28.2; delete-selection-mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2023 21:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60646: 28.2; delete-selection-mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60646: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60646
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60646: 28.2; delete-selection-mode
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 14:33:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> delete-selection-mode is problematic in that it introduces behavior
> that is extremely surprising and annoying to those who are used to the
> old-style GUI selections and the Emacs region.

That's probably true.  I'd personally not use the word "extremely" given
that it'd be relatively easy for veterans to turn it off (easier than,
say, for beginners to turn it on).

> Thus, enabling it by default is out of the question;

I don't agree, not completely, but this *is* long-standing behavior, and
a change would be controversial.  This has been discussed many times,
and it's been hard to find a new consensus.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.  Thanks for reporting it, and I'm
sorry if the conclusion is disappointing.  We will have a chance to
revisit this the next time someone brings it up.

Subject: 28.2; delete-selection-mode
From: "Redekopp, Eric" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 01:31:30 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I would like to express my strong support for enabling delete-selection-mode by default. This is standard for almost all other text applications and feels unintuitive not to have it.

Thanks for your consideration and keep up the good work.
Eric Redekopp, University Of Saskatchewan

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-09-12 built on frederik
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101006
System Description: Manjaro Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
 -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  counsel-projectile-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  ivy-rich-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/eric/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail mail-utils ffap tide tide-lv typescript-mode cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds face-remap server elec-pair
display-fill-column-indicator flycheck find-func company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-bbdb
highlight-indentation flymake-proc flymake warnings company-capf company
help-fns radix-tree elpy elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell
elpy-profile elpy-django elpy-refactor python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat shell pcomplete
parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec ido files-x etags
fileloop generator cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs julia-mode julia-mode-latexsubs lsp-ivy
lsp-mode yasnippet-snippets yasnippet tree-widget wid-edit spinner pcase
network-stream puny nsm rmc markdown-mode noutline outline lv inline
imenu filenotify ewoc epg rfc6068 epg-config lsp-protocol ht
counsel-projectile projectile lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr grep ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt which-key counsel xdg advice xref project
dired dired-loaddefs compile comint ansi-color swiper ivy-rich ivy
derived ring ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons shrink-path
rx f f-shortdoc shortdoc text-property-search s dash compat compat-macs
command-log-mode cl-extra help-mode edmacro kmacro linum
display-line-numbers delsel doom-henna-theme doom-themes
doom-themes-base use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core finder-inf info package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 574892 88899)
 (symbols 48 40023 1)
 (strings 32 172871 5875)
 (string-bytes 1 4756015)
 (vectors 16 62304)
 (vector-slots 8 766577 33432)
 (floats 8 948 248)
 (intervals 56 412 105)
 (buffers 992 11))