Subject: bug#60646: 28.2; delete-selection-mode

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:55:39 +0530

[சனி ஜனவரி 14, 2023] Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:

>  > The _only_ problem I personally have with delete-selection-mode is
>  > that it also replaces the region created by the likes of "C-x C-x",
>  > something that "most software out there" does not and cannot do.  If
>  > we were to change delete-selection-mode to replace only highlighted
>  > text created by mouse selections or by shift-selections, I think we
>  > could then enable it by default without much resistance, because
>  > typing a character or DEL after explicitly selecting text is many
>  > orders of magnitude less probable to be a mistake than when we make
>  > the region active by other means.
>  — <[email-masked]>
>
>  Enlightening; I personally C-x C-x C-g without a second thought when
>  all I want is to "jump to mark" (or I use C-u C-SPC).  I use C-x C-x
>  mostly for its region-activating effect (typically after C-y), rather
>  than for its point-mark-swap effect, and I expect delete-selection-mode
>  to clobber stuff I highlight with region-activating commands (C-M-SPC,
>  C-x h, C-M-h, M-h, C-SPC + [move around]).
>
>  But I understand how adding an option to control that would make sense)

I had the same problem with delete-selection-mode: mark and region is
different from how "selection" works in other editors so deleting the
active region in all cases was more disruptive than I anticipated.
I hope delete-selection-temporary-region solves this problem for
everyone like it did for me when I proposed the patch.