Subject: Re: bug#60645: 30.0.50; interactive MODES not detected properly

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 14:26:18 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2023-01-08 12:15]:
> Maybe one of the inconsistencies is your expectations.  What did you
> expect to happen in each case, and why?

For this function:

(defun my-function ()
  (interactive nil '(text-mode mail-mode))
  (message "Hello"))

> If MODES is present, it should be a list of mode names (symbols) that
> this command is applicable for.  The main effect of this is that
> ‘M-x TAB’ (by default) won’t list this command if the current buffer’s
> mode doesn’t match the list.  That is, if either the major mode isn’t
> derived from them, or (when it’s a minor mode) the mode isn’t in effect.

I expect that M-x TAB shows it in this mail-mode, but it does not show
it this time. That is one of expectations, among several.

In general, I would like to setup functions NOT to show in modes where
they should not be shown.

I feel this function does not work.

If you have working example, show me.

--
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/