Subject: Re: bug#60632: [PATCH 1/1] services: base: Add extra-env support to guix-configuration.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 14:38:20 -0500

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/services/base.scm (<guix-configuration>)[extra-env]: New field.
> (guix-shepherd-service): Honor it.
> * doc/guix.texi (Base Services): Document it.
> ---
> Hello,
>
> Here is a small patch to allow defining extra environment variables in the
> guix-daemon context.
>
> I intend to use it to set the GUIX_SUBSTITUTE_DEBUG variable to debug
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48468.

LGTM.

Side topic: I wonder if (with some changes to the daemon -- perhaps in
DerivationGoal::startBuilder) in nix/libstore/build.cc we could leak the
COLUMNS variable to be able to control the Guile builder backtrace
width.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim