Subject: Re: [bug#60629] [PATCH 0/3] Add '--with-version' package transformation

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 18:00:41 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On ven., 13 janv. 2023 at 12:12, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I wonder about this one because it would be displayed unconditionally,
> there’s no “I understand the risks” button one can click to make it
> disappear.  I’d lean towards making a prominent warning in the manual
> and not have a warning message every time here, dunno.

Yeah, I agree it will be visually polluting. :-)

Well, this patch set exposes the concern about reproducibility and some
package transformation.  Therefore, it could be addressed and discussed
separately since it is unique to this --with-version.

A first idea. :-)

Maybe, this warning could appears the first time the transformation is
called; similarly as “guix shell --check”.

Or if we want to be really stringent, the first time of transformation
calling, we simply raise ad message explaining it will not be
reproducible, ask an Yes/No “I understand the risk”, store the result in
a cache.  This makes sure the information is spread.

However, it could be annoying when launching in some non-interactive
mode.  The trick would be to set this cache but that’s not super handy.

Bah, it needs more thoughts. :-)

Cheers,
simon