Subject: Re: bug#60600: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document manual desktop restore

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 13:54:46 +0200

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:33:20 +0100
> 
> diff --git a/doc/emacs/misc.texi b/doc/emacs/misc.texi
> index c706b727e6f..ec24d43c46a 100644
> --- a/doc/emacs/misc.texi
> +++ b/doc/emacs/misc.texi
> @@ -2733,11 +2733,13 @@ Saving Emacs Sessions
>  @findex desktop-save
>  @vindex desktop-save-mode
>    You can save the desktop manually with the command @kbd{M-x
> -desktop-save}.  You can also enable automatic saving of the desktop
> -when you exit Emacs, and automatic restoration of the last saved
> -desktop when Emacs starts: use the Customization buffer (@pxref{Easy
> -Customization}) to set @code{desktop-save-mode} to @code{t} for future
> -sessions, or add this line in your init file (@pxref{Init File}):
> +desktop-save}.  You can then restore the desktop manually with the
> +command @kbd{M-x desktop-read}.  You can also enable automatic saving
> +of the desktop when you exit Emacs, and automatic restoration of the
> +last saved desktop when Emacs starts: use the Customization buffer
> +(@pxref{Easy Customization}) to set @code{desktop-save-mode} to
> +@code{t} for future sessions, or add this line in your init file
> +(@pxref{Init File}):

Thanks.

The new text seems to imply that using "M-x desktop-save" necessarily
means restoring must also be manual.  But this is only true if
desktop-save-mode was not enabled.  I have the mode enabled, and I
still sometimes save the desktop manually, whenever I make some
significant change to the session, to make sure the new arrangement is
saved and not lost due to some catastrophe.

So the change needs to be reworded not to imply the mistaken
interpretation that saving manually requires restoring manually.