Subject: bug#60600: closed (Re: bug#60600: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document manual desktop restore)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 08:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60600: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document manual desktop restore

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60600: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60600
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60600: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document manual desktop restore
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 10:49:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 16:15:08 +0100
> 
> Here is a rewrite/reshuffle of (Saving Emacs Sessions) node.
> 
> I tried to explain desktop-save-mode right from the start.  Then go on
> with the options by order of importance.  As you suggest, I left
> desktop-load-locked-desktop quite high even though I find it a bit
> verbose and quite « implementation detail ».  WDYT?

Thanks, this LGTM.  So I've installed it on the emacs-29 release
branch, and then made a few minor changes in the wording and the
arrangement of the text.

And with this, I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document manual desktop restore
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:33:20 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

This patch document how to do a manual desktop restore.

>From b7950b2c05bf22fb69d6554383bf09fc4eb8036a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 11:29:20 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Document manual desktop restore

* doc/emacs/misc.texi (Saving Emacs Sessions): Precises how to do a
manual restore after a manual save.
---
 doc/emacs/misc.texi | 12 +++++++-----
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/emacs/misc.texi b/doc/emacs/misc.texi
index c706b727e6f..ec24d43c46a 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/misc.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/misc.texi
@@ -2733,11 +2733,13 @@ Saving Emacs Sessions
 @findex desktop-save
 @vindex desktop-save-mode
   You can save the desktop manually with the command @kbd{M-x
-desktop-save}.  You can also enable automatic saving of the desktop
-when you exit Emacs, and automatic restoration of the last saved
-desktop when Emacs starts: use the Customization buffer (@pxref{Easy
-Customization}) to set @code{desktop-save-mode} to @code{t} for future
-sessions, or add this line in your init file (@pxref{Init File}):
+desktop-save}.  You can then restore the desktop manually with the
+command @kbd{M-x desktop-read}.  You can also enable automatic saving
+of the desktop when you exit Emacs, and automatic restoration of the
+last saved desktop when Emacs starts: use the Customization buffer
+(@pxref{Easy Customization}) to set @code{desktop-save-mode} to
+@code{t} for future sessions, or add this line in your init file
+(@pxref{Init File}):
 
 @example
 (desktop-save-mode 1)
-- 
2.39.0

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.2, cairo version
 1.17.6) of 2023-01-06 built on computer
Repository revision: 3fcbb865853d7c364cf7c2986ead9e258f449f97
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.2 GENERIC.MP#903 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Texinfo

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-0.10.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug whitespace magit-patch misearch
multi-isearch shortdoc help-fns radix-tree executable texinfo
texinfo-loaddefs magit-extras face-remap magit-bookmark magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils dash pulse
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs css-mode treesit smie imenu org-indent
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok view oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree
ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex
ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi epa-file bug-reference gnus-dired
autorevert filenotify vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn desktop
frameset paredit edmacro time battery exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config
exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server stimmung-themes
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes ytdious osm mingus libmpdee reporter
edebug debug backtrace transmission diary-lib diary-loaddefs color
calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs w3m-load mu4e
mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft
mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark
mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config
bookmark ido supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm
ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode speedbar
ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit cus-load
wid-edit files-x tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime compile text-property-search etags fileloop
generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads
dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs notifications dbus xml repeat
easy-mmode stimmung-themes-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads ebdb-autoloads
magit-autoloads debbugs-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
paredit-autoloads dash-autoloads ytdious-autoloads
transmission-autoloads transient-autoloads exwm-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads detached-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 755171 92149)
 (symbols 48 59596 3)
 (strings 32 194558 7376)
 (string-bytes 1 6141566)
 (vectors 16 113719)
 (vector-slots 8 2244387 111508)
 (floats 8 618 373)
 (intervals 56 24661 1377)
 (buffers 984 91))

-- 
Manuel Giraud