Subject: Re: bug#60600: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document manual desktop restore

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 14:30:39 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> I find the organization of the text in that section not very logical
> in general.  It begins by describing not-very-important optional
> features.  It should instead start by describing desktop-save-mode,
> since this is the recommended use of this facility, and leave the
> manual saving/restoring for later (explaining why one would want to do
> it manually).  When it describes desktop-save-mode, it should mention
> that saving happens also from time to time, not just upon exit,
> something that for some reason is described much later in the section.
> And the order of describing the various optional features seems to
> lack any logic, which at least should be to describe the more
> significant/important options (such as desktop-load-locked-desktop,
> for example) first.

Yes.  I had the same feeling when reading this section.  It starts
talking about desktop-restore-frames before I had grasp what is the
purpose of desktop.

I'll see if I can come up with something and report here.

>> And BTW, shouldn't desktop-revert be the user facing interface here?
>
> What do you mean?  desktop-revert is described in that section (again,
> without any hint about when it could be useful).

I think I was mistaken desktop-read seems to be the correct interface as
documented in desktop-save-mode function.
-- 
Manuel Giraud