Subject: 23.0.60; Cocoa Emacs crashes in ns_free_indexed_color

From: Clifford Wulfman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:12:52 -0400

Another somewhat random crash that appears from the crash log to  
occur in a call to ns_free-indexed_color.  Output of Emacs.crash.log  
appended.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-apple-darwin8.11.1, *Step 9.0)
  of 2008-07-24 on hagen.princeton.edu
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 49.46.48
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: nil
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: nil
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading psvn...done
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/xml-site.el (source)...
Loading rng-auto...done
Loading xmlunicode...
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/xml/unichars.el (source)...done
Loading xmlunicode...done
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/xml-site.el (source)...done
Loading `slime': old-style backquotes detected!
Loading /Users/cliff/elisp/org-setup.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

**********

Host Name:      hagen
Date/Time:      2008-07-24 16:05:48.199 -0400
OS Version:     10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
Report Version: 4

Command: Emacs
Path:    /Users/cliff/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
Parent:  WindowServer [62]

Version: Version 23.0.60 (NS 9.0)

PID:    20198
Thread: 0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000053d

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x00161afb ns_free_indexed_color + 17  
(nsterm.m:1309)
1   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x00186ee9 x_clear_image_1 + 143 (image.c: 
1709)
2   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x001869d6 free_image + 83 (image.c:1394)
3   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x00187210 clear_image_cache + 192 (image.c: 
1927)
4   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x001872cc clear_image_caches + 53 (image.c: 
1961)
5   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x00032c7e redisplay_internal + 4412  
(xdisp.c:12045)
6   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x000a7165 read_char + 1787 (keyboard.c:2687)
7   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x000a9592 read_key_sequence + 866  
(keyboard.c:9431)
8   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x000ab95c command_loop_1 + 542 (keyboard.c: 
1653)
9   org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0010a0b1 internal_condition_case + 245  
(eval.c:1511)
10  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009da0c command_loop_2 + 68 (keyboard.c: 
1370)
11  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x00109fa2 internal_catch + 171 (eval.c:1247)
12  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009d750 command_loop + 76 (keyboard.c:1335)
13  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009d867 recursive_edit_1 + 145  
(keyboard.c:957)
14  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x000c7a2d read_minibuf + 1726 (minibuf.c:738)
15  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x000c8729 Fcompleting_read + 396  
(minibuf.c:1804)
16  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x000a432b Fexecute_extended_command + 299  
(keyboard.c:10482)
17  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0010bebd Ffuncall + 983 (eval.c:3048)
18  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0010841e Fcall_interactively + 3267  
(callint.c:859)
19  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0010bebd Ffuncall + 983 (eval.c:3048)
20  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0010c059 call3 + 25 (eval.c:2874)
21  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x000abb9d command_loop_1 + 1119  
(keyboard.c:1920)
22  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0010a0b1 internal_condition_case + 245  
(eval.c:1511)
23  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009da0c command_loop_2 + 68 (keyboard.c: 
1370)
24  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x00109fa2 internal_catch + 171 (eval.c:1247)
25  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009d7ae command_loop + 170 (keyboard.c: 
1349)
26  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009d867 recursive_edit_1 + 145  
(keyboard.c:957)
27  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009d9af Frecursive_edit + 228  
(keyboard.c:1020)
28  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0009c6cb main + 2477 (emacs.c:1800)
29  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x0000234a _start + 216
30  org.gnu.Emacs        	0x00002271 start + 41

Thread 1:
0   libSystem.B.dylib    	0x900248c7 semaphore_wait_signal_trap + 7
1   com.apple.Foundation 	0x9284f2fc -[NSConditionLock  
lockWhenCondition:] + 39
2   com.apple.AppKit     	0x93373cb4 -[NSUIHeartBeat  
_heartBeatThread:] + 377
3   com.apple.Foundation 	0x927f939c forkThreadForFunction + 123
4   libSystem.B.dylib    	0x90024227 _pthread_body + 84

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
   eax: 0x00000425  ebx: 0x00161af8  ecx: 0x05800038  edx: 0x04399a40
   edi: 0x00af3130  esi: 0x04399740  ebp: 0xbfffe5a8  esp: 0xbfffe580
    ss: 0x0000001f  efl: 0x00010282  eip: 0x00161afb   cs: 0x00000017
    ds: 0x0000001f   es: 0x0000001f   fs: 0x00000000   gs: 0x00000037

Binary Images Description:
     0x1000 -   0x1a4fff org.gnu.Emacs Version 23.0.60 (NS 9.0)	/ 
Users/cliff/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
   0x70e000 -   0x738fff libdbus-1.3.dylib 	/opt/local/lib/ 
libdbus-1.3.dylib
   0x74b000 -   0x774fff libncurses.5.dylib 	/opt/local/lib/ 
libncurses.5.dylib
   0xb5d000 -   0xb64fff com.unsanity.smartcrashreports Smart Crash  
Reports version 1.2.1 (1.2.1)	/Users/cliff/Library/InputManagers/ 
Smart Crash Reports/Smart Crash Reports.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Smart  
Crash Reports
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4afff dyld 46.16	/usr/lib/dyld
0x90000000 - 0x90171fff libSystem.B.dylib 	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
0x901c1000 - 0x901c3fff libmathCommon.A.dylib 	/usr/lib/system/ 
libmathCommon.A.dylib
0x901c5000 - 0x90202fff com.apple.CoreText 1.1.3 (???)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText
0x90229000 - 0x902fffff ATS 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/ 
Versions/A/ATS
0x9031f000 - 0x90774fff com.apple.CoreGraphics 1.258.78 (???)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
0x9080b000 - 0x908d3fff com.apple.CoreFoundation 6.4.11 (368.35)	/ 
System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/ 
CoreFoundation
0x90911000 - 0x90911fff com.apple.CoreServices 10.4 (???)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
0x90913000 - 0x90a07fff libicucore.A.dylib 	/usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib
0x90a57000 - 0x90ad6fff libobjc.A.dylib 	/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
0x90aff000 - 0x90b63fff libstdc++.6.dylib 	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
0x90bd2000 - 0x90bd9fff libgcc_s.1.dylib 	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib
0x90bde000 - 0x90c51fff com.apple.framework.IOKit 1.4.8 (???)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
0x90c66000 - 0x90c78fff libauto.dylib 	/usr/lib/libauto.dylib
0x90c7e000 - 0x90f24fff com.apple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 682.29	/ 
System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore
0x90f67000 - 0x90fcffff com.apple.CoreServices.OSServices 4.1	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices
0x91008000 - 0x91047fff com.apple.CFNetwork 129.22 (129.23)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
0x9105a000 - 0x9106afff com.apple.WebServices 1.1.3 (1.1.0)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
WebServicesCore.framework/Versions/A/WebServicesCore
0x91075000 - 0x910f4fff com.apple.SearchKit 1.0.7	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
SearchKit.framework/Versions/A/SearchKit
0x9112e000 - 0x9114cfff com.apple.Metadata 10.4.4 (121.36)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Metadata
0x91158000 - 0x91166fff libz.1.dylib 	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
0x91169000 - 0x91308fff com.apple.security 4.5.2 (29774)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security
0x91406000 - 0x9140efff com.apple.DiskArbitration 2.1.2	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
0x91415000 - 0x9141cfff libbsm.dylib 	/usr/lib/libbsm.dylib
0x91420000 - 0x91446fff com.apple.SystemConfiguration 1.8.6	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/ 
SystemConfiguration
0x91458000 - 0x914cefff com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 3.0.5	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
0x9151f000 - 0x9151ffff com.apple.ApplicationServices 10.4 (???)	/ 
System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
ApplicationServices
0x91521000 - 0x9154dfff com.apple.AE 314 (313)	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
AE.framework/Versions/A/AE
0x91560000 - 0x91634fff com.apple.ColorSync 4.4.10	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
0x9166f000 - 0x916e2fff com.apple.print.framework.PrintCore 4.6  
(177.13)	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/ 
Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/PrintCore
0x91710000 - 0x917b9fff com.apple.QD 3.10.25 (???)	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
QD.framework/Versions/A/QD
0x917df000 - 0x9182afff com.apple.HIServices 1.5.2 (???)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices
0x91849000 - 0x9185ffff com.apple.LangAnalysis 1.6.3	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/LangAnalysis
0x9186b000 - 0x91886fff com.apple.FindByContent 1.5	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
FindByContent.framework/Versions/A/FindByContent
0x91891000 - 0x918cefff com.apple.LaunchServices 183	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices
0x918e2000 - 0x918eefff com.apple.speech.synthesis.framework 3.5	/ 
System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
Frameworks/SpeechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesis
0x918f5000 - 0x91935fff com.apple.ImageIO.framework 1.5.7	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
0x91948000 - 0x919fafff libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib 	/usr/lib/libcrypto. 
0.9.7.dylib
0x91a40000 - 0x91a56fff libcups.2.dylib 	/usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib
0x91a5b000 - 0x91a79fff libJPEG.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/ 
Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
0x91a7e000 - 0x91addfff libJP2.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/ 
Versions/A/Resources/libJP2.dylib
0x91aef000 - 0x91af3fff libGIF.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/ 
Versions/A/Resources/libGIF.dylib
0x91af5000 - 0x91b7dfff libRaw.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/ 
Versions/A/Resources/libRaw.dylib
0x91b81000 - 0x91bbefff libTIFF.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/ 
Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
0x91bc4000 - 0x91bdffff libPng.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/ 
Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib
0x91be4000 - 0x91be6fff libRadiance.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/ 
Versions/A/Resources/libRadiance.dylib
0x91be8000 - 0x91cc6fff libxml2.2.dylib 	/usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
0x91ce3000 - 0x91ce3fff com.apple.Accelerate 1.3.1 (Accelerate  
1.3.1)	/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/ 
Accelerate
0x91ce5000 - 0x91d73fff com.apple.vImage 2.5	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
vImage.framework/Versions/A/vImage
0x91d7a000 - 0x91d7afff com.apple.Accelerate.vecLib 3.3.1 (vecLib  
3.3.1)	/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/ 
Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib
0x91d7c000 - 0x91dd5fff libvMisc.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/ 
A/libvMisc.dylib
0x91dde000 - 0x91e02fff libvDSP.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/ 
A/libvDSP.dylib
0x91e0a000 - 0x92213fff libBLAS.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/ 
A/libBLAS.dylib
0x9224d000 - 0x92601fff libLAPACK.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/ 
A/libLAPACK.dylib
0x9262e000 - 0x9271bfff libiconv.2.dylib 	/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
0x9271d000 - 0x9279bfff com.apple.DesktopServices 1.3.7	/System/ 
Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/ 
DesktopServicesPriv
0x927dc000 - 0x92a0cfff com.apple.Foundation 6.4.10 (567.37)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
0x92b26000 - 0x92b41fff libGL.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
0x92b4d000 - 0x92ba5fff libGLU.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLU.dylib
0x92bda000 - 0x92be2fff com.apple.speech.recognition.framework 3.6	/ 
System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
SpeechRecognition.framework/Versions/A/SpeechRecognition
0x92dce000 - 0x92ddcfff com.apple.audio.SoundManager 3.9.1	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
CarbonSound.framework/Versions/A/CarbonSound
0x92ded000 - 0x930e2fff com.apple.HIToolbox 1.4.10 (???)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
0x931e8000 - 0x931f4fff com.apple.opengl 1.5.1	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
0x93284000 - 0x93284fff com.apple.Cocoa 6.4 (???)	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa
0x93286000 - 0x9393cfff com.apple.AppKit 6.4.10 (824.48)	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
0x93cbd000 - 0x93d38fff com.apple.CoreData 91 (92.1)	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/CoreData.framework/Versions/A/CoreData
0x93d71000 - 0x93e2afff com.apple.audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox 1.4.7	/ 
System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox
0x93e6d000 - 0x93e6dfff com.apple.audio.units.AudioUnit 1.4.3	/System/ 
Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit
0x93e6f000 - 0x94030fff com.apple.QuartzCore 1.4.12	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore
0x94076000 - 0x940b7fff libsqlite3.0.dylib 	/usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
0x940bf000 - 0x94102fff libGLImage.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLImage.dylib
0x94106000 - 0x9411cfff com.apple.CoreVideo 1.4.2	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo
0x9412c000 - 0x945e8fff libGLProgrammability.dylib 	/System/Library/ 
Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/ 
libGLProgrammability.dylib
0x94867000 - 0x94876fff libCGATS.A.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib
0x9487d000 - 0x94888fff libCSync.A.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCSync.A.dylib
0x948d4000 - 0x948eefff libRIP.A.dylib 	/System/Library/Frameworks/ 
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ 
CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib
0x94fed000 - 0x9500afff libresolv.9.dylib 	/usr/lib/libresolv.9.dylib

Clifford E. Wulfman
Coordinator of Library Digital Initiatives
Princeton University Library
[email-masked]