Subject: bug#60587: Patch for adding links to symbols' help documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 08:00:37 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 21:27:46 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Unfortunately I also need to investigate the code anew.  Yesterday I
> >> realised a regression starting with Emacs-29!  `Tab' and `S-Tab' aren't
> >> working any longer for Info references.  (E.g. the `Tab' keybinding is
> >> switched from `Info-next-reference' to `forward-button'..)
> >
> > So I guess you will be submitting a new patch soon?
> 
> Yes, I hope with the help of Stefan's crystal .., ahem promising hint,
> soon.

TIA

> Shouldn't I address the concern of Drew, as well?  That a "button" is a
> certain technical implementation of linking which might not be known by
> the reader.  Maybe a term like "link button" or "link-button" conveys -
> at the same time - the well known concept and correct technique,
> different from an Info link (or "cross reference")?

I think "button" is problematic, and have no idea why Drew thinks we
should use another term here.  The code does insert buttons, right?
If the user types "M-x describe-text-properties RET", will he/she see
that there's a button at point?