Subject: Re: bug#60587: Patch for adding links to symbols' help documentation

From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 21:27:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Unfortunately I also need to investigate the code anew.  Yesterday I
>> realised a regression starting with Emacs-29!  `Tab' and `S-Tab' aren't
>> working any longer for Info references.  (E.g. the `Tab' keybinding is
>> switched from `Info-next-reference' to `forward-button'..)
>
> So I guess you will be submitting a new patch soon?

Yes, I hope with the help of Stefan's crystal .., ahem promising hint,
soon.

>> --- a/doc/emacs/help.texi
>> +++ b/doc/emacs/help.texi
>> ...
> I think the first sentence should be rewritten as describing a
> separate feature, not "the same as" something else.  Just say that
> symbols are converted into buttons that lead to their doc strings.

That's clearer, I'll do that.

Shouldn't I address the concern of Drew, as well?  That a "button" is a
certain technical implementation of linking which might not be known by
the reader.  Maybe a term like "link button" or "link-button" conveys -
at the same time - the well known concept and correct technique,
different from an Info link (or "cross reference")?

> Also, the option which controls this should be mentioned and indexed.

Ah, of course!

Thanks for your suggestions

-- 
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Zwingenberg, Germany