Subject: Re: bug#60587: Patch for adding links to symbols' help documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 15:20:18 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 22:53:23 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Finally, this needs additions to the user manual and NEWS.
> 
> Do you think about Emacs' Info manual?  My feeling is that it could be
> fitting to explain the additional linking capability here:
> 
> (info "(info) Help-Xref").

No, the info.info manual is not what I had in mind.  I meant the Emacs
manual.

I think a good place is to mention this feature in the "Misc Help"
section.

> +*** Info viewer provides now links from symbols to their help documentation.
> +Links from quoted `symbol' names, like names of variables, functions
> +and faces, are pointing to their *Help* documentation. If you want to
> +disable such links - in addition to the regular Info cross references
> +- you can set the variable `info-make-xref-flag' to nil.

First, please leave 2 spaces between sentences, and use "--" for a
dash.

More importantly, "pointing to help documentation" is confusing: what
exactly is "help documentation" here, and how does an Info manual
"point" there.

I think you should instead say that these symbols are made into
buttons that can be used to display the documentation strings of the
functions/variables.  Or something to that effect.

Thanks.