Subject: Re: bug#60587: Patch for adding links to symbols' help documentation

From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:53:27 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> If I were you, I'd just use a single global minor mode that affects all
> Info-mode buffers (and only Info-mode buffers).  It should be rather rare
> for a user to want to enable this in some buffers but not all.

I took a step back and refocusing on Info and only Info.  When rewriting
the mode as global minor mode, it's working, easily, for my tests.

The only thing, which feels strange to me, is that
'info-links-to-help-mode' is now a minor mode for all buffers (and
modes).  Sure, it's only affecting 'Info-mode' but isn't there a way of
making it a "global" minor mode only for Info buffers?  Anyway, I
couldn't find a way to restrict global minor modes to certain major
modes.

Do you think the usage of 'define-globalized-minor-mode' is an
alternative for a global minor mode?  As far as I understand, it is
possible to have a global toggle for local minor modes which
automatically enables them for all buffers (optionally, of certain major
modes).

-- 
Thanks
        Dieter

Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Zwingenberg, Germany