Subject: bug#60585: 30.0.50; global-text-scale-adjust shrinks window (was not before)

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:44:12 +0300

Let me just remind you that it is considered application (Emacs) error
by IceWm developer.

See:
https://github.com/ice-wm/icewm/issues/115

Where gijsbers said, that:

> IceWM historically has ignored the USSize field in the
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS property. To enforce a size an app must set both the
> PMinSize and the PMaxSize to the same value. Because there is no
> PMaxSize, icewm is free to adjust the size to a value which is in
> accordance to the emacs provided PBaseSize and PResizeInc. See the
> ICCCM for details. IceWM is still standards conformant. It just has
> a different interpretation than other WMs.

And then here is the reference:
https://x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html

Search for: "PMaxSize" and review if there is something that Emacs
could or should do.

While in meantime IceWM developer provided tolerance patch:
https://github.com/bbidulock/icewm/commit/cb144a07ce0b948177030a2f56b83fc07d2b2a44

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/