Subject: bug#60585: 30.0.50; global-text-scale-adjust shrinks window (was not before)

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 22:14:02 +0000

>
> I asked in another thread before and repeat the question here: Per se, 
> 'global-text-scale-adjust' should never resize frames.  You have to 
> customize 'global-text-scale-adjust-resizes-frames' to achieve that 
> effect.  Please tell me what precisely you did.  If you did not 
> customize that option, something must be wrong within face-remap.el of 
> which I'm not aware.
>

I did not reply in the other thread, but it's not global-text-scale-adjust 
that resizes the frames, it's the window manager (IceWM).  I tried a few 
other window managers, and they do not resize the frame in such 
circumstances.

This resizing can be avoided in at least two ways: disabling the scroll 
bar, and setting frame-resize-pixelwise to t.

>
> I faintly recall that setting size hints with lucid here was completely 
> broken a couple of years ago.  In the attached patch I tried to excise 
> some of the changes I made to fix that then.  I also added some tracing 
> information that should be dumped to a buffer called *foo*.  So please 
> try the patch and if it does not work (or things even get worse) post 
> the contents of *foo* here.
>

I'm not 100% sure that the bug I see here is exactly the same as the one 
Jean sees (he said it's a recent bug, and I can reproduce it even with an 
Emacs from 2017), but here is the output of a patched Emacs running under 
IceWM on my system.