Subject: Re: bug#60585: 30.0.50; global-text-scale-adjust shrinks window (was not before), was: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 11:08:09 +0100

> The previous scenarios (with one of the patches from the other bug
 > thread) had frame at "impair" size only after some resizings with the
 > mouse. For most sizes the frame ended up at "correct" sizes, but there
 > were relatively rare sizes where this was not the case.

For reference let's try to stick to the last x_scale_font.diff patch I
sent you.  What was the "impair" size there?  Note in all theses cases:
The real size of a frame as it is displayed (or better cut off) by the
WM is only reflected in our pixel sizes.  The character sizes (including
those displayed by GNOME) are just approximations which reflect the
displayed sizes faithfully iff when multiplied by the character sizes
they result in the corresponding pixel size.

 > With your last patch here, however, the frame seemingly ended up at an "impair" size every time I resized it with the mouse.

The present one or the one I sent you before?

 > With this patch 'emacs -Q' starts up at 32x6 columns/lines. :-)
 >
 > Very small window, that.

"The Incredible Shrinking Frame"

 > Otherwise, the behavior seems pretty stable:
 >
 > - Repeated invocations of set-face-attribute don't change frame size,
 > - After resizing with the mouse, at some frame sizes set-face-attribute does cause one resize (e.g. at 80x30, according to GNOME), but most do not -- just like the older patch I referred to in the first paragraph.

Please send me the *foo* transcript.

Thanks, martin