Subject: Re: bug#60585: 30.0.50; global-text-scale-adjust shrinks window (was not before), was: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 11:03:38 +0100

> OK, I have recompiled to Lucid, reproduced the problem

Thanks.  This shows that we have to deal with an increasing number of
window managers that pay more attention to size hints than we have
bargained for.  If Emacs doesn't keep pace with that development,
leaving 'frame-resize-pixelwise' at nil will become an obsolete option
soon.

 > I did get a segfault once when testing this, but wasn't able to
 > replicate it so far. Could be unrelated.

Did this happen with emacs -Q?  An optimized build probably?  Also the
line numbers do not really correspond to neither emacs-29 nor master as
I can check from here via savannah.  In either case, dumping traces to a
buffer can produce all sorts of problems, although I try hard to do that
in "safe" places only.  So it might be related.

 > Not sure if you need the contents of *foo* from me, but attaching it
 > anyway (from a different session), because it might show something
 > different with 2x scaled display.

Now I'm confused.  How on earth do we scale with Lucid?  If we do, then
please show me how Lucid handles the Inconsolata scenario.  And please
try also the Inconsolata scenario with a GTK build and the new code.  I
doubt that the code can handle it out of the box but maybe we can tweak
it sufficiently.

Thanks, martin