Subject: bug#60585: 30.0.50; global-text-scale-adjust shrinks window (was not before), was: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 03:27:34 +0200

On 13/01/2023 10:38, martin rudalics wrote:
>  > I cannot reproduce the problem reported in bug#60585, with or without 
> that patch (with GNOME).
> 
> That one is a real treat, however.  With our current bug we are occupied
> with things going awry when we want to explicitly change the size of a
> frame.  In Bug#60585 we do not want to change the size of a frame.
> Rather we want to keep its size fixed when changing the default font's
> size.

Indeed.

> The problem is not reproducible with GTK because there we set the size
> hints only when we want to resize a frame.  With the Lucid build we set
> size hints more often.

OK, I have recompiled to Lucid, reproduced the problem and indeed your 
patch seems to fix it. With seemingly no adverse effects.

I did get a segfault once when testing this, but wasn't able to 
replicate it so far. Could be unrelated. Attaching both it and the 
"decoded" version, which was produced with this command (note that the 
regexp is different from what the manual advises):

sed -n 's/[a-z0-9_/-]\+(\([a-z0-9+]\+\))/\1/p' segfault.txt | addr2line 
-C -f -i -p -e src/emacs

Not sure if you need the contents of *foo* from me, but attaching it 
anyway (from a different session), because it might show something 
different with 2x scaled display.