Subject: bug#60559: 29.0.60; "Cannot activate tree-sitter" spam

From: Eric Gillespie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 08:59:00 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> thanks

You're welcome.

> This is not a bug.

Okay.

> Because I don't want to risk any breakage by last-minute changes.  Do
> we want to release Emacs 29 soon, or do we want to keep developing it
> for another year?

It seems to me the safest approach for a release is the
conservative approach.  The more gradual a change, the less
likely an embarassing release or rushed follow-on patch release.

All this discussion has been interesting, but it seems to me it
is mostly focused on a world where not only tree-sitter is
common, but all those grammar libraries are as well!

I think very few emacs users in 2023 live in that world.

If emacs was configured with tree-sitter, it seems productive to
warn the user when tree-sitter grammars are missing.  It seems
likely that user intended to have tree-sitter.

When emacs is NOT configured with tree-sitter, it seems
counter-productive to warn about missing tree-sitter.

I even pass --without-tree-sitter to configure now.  It seems
particularly surprising to me that I explicitly tell emacs "don't
use tree-sitter" and then it immediately starts complaining to me
that it doesn't have tree-sitter.

Thanks everyone!