Subject: Re: bug#60559: 29.0.60; "Cannot activate tree-sitter" spam

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 20:40:24 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> This is not a bug.  Emacs 29 comes with major modes for TOML files and
> for Dockerfiles, and those new major modes require that you build
> Emacs with the tree-sitter library (and install the corresponding
> parser grammar libraries).  If you don't want to do that, you can
> instead customize auto-mode-alist to make Emacs use Fundamental mode
> (or any other mode you like) for these two file types.

Isn't this another manifestation of what's being discussed in bug#60511?
I also think that treesit-ready-p should not emit a warning by default,
it's too noisy and confusing for people that don't know about
Tree-sitter and consequently use a build of Emacs 29 without Tree-sitter
enabled.

Also, it's strange that, even if Tree-sitter is not configured at all, a
major mode whose description mentions Tree-sitter is apparently loaded.
The user will naturally doubt if the major mode works at all or not.
IMHO, Tree-sitter-only modes should not change the major mode if
treesit-ready-p returns nil.