Subject: bug#6055: Add an example to --help for date

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:19:16 -0600

severity 6055 wishlist
thanks

Ursula A. Kallio wrote:
> Hello. Please consider adding an example to the date man page.
>
> Even something simple suffices:
> date +%Y%m%d

The man page is provided only as a quick reference document.  In order
to facilitate maintenance it is generated automatically from the
online help in 'date --help' as you indicated in your subject.  But
there just isn't very much space that can be allocated there for every
aspect of the command.  It is already quite long.

Plus the full documentation for date is maintained as a Texinfo
manual.  If the info and date programs are properly installed at your
site, the command

  info coreutils 'date invocation'

should give you access to the complete manual.  It contains extensive
examples and other useful documentation.  Please refer to it for the
many fine examples there.

Bob