Subject: cp, ls, and mv bug: unknown error (252)

From: "Callahan, Patrick M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:43:52 -0400

When using coreutils binaries either built from sources or installed
from the Porting And Archive Centre for HP-UX we see errors of the type
below when copying (cp), listing (ls), or moving (mv) files or
directories on Quantum's StorNext file system (cvfs).  When we build
"--without-acl" we do not see these errors.

> mv SEG_5_1* ~/release-input/dev-to-integration
mv: preserving permissions for
`/usr/people/archive/release-input/dev-to-integation/SEG_5_1.txt':
Unknown error (252)
...

> which mv
mv: aliases to mv -I !*;

> which \mv
/usr/local/coreutils/bin/mv

Patrick M. Callahan
Pat (dot) Callahan (at) gd-ais (dot) com
General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems