Subject: bug#60527: 30.0.50; Typing SPC in a minibuffer with completion

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 16:47:37 +0200

> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 14:05:37 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 04/01/2023 05:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > My preference is for the more-compatible alternatives.  It is
> > notoriously non-trivial to figure out minibuffer bindings, so
> > expecting users to do the above is not very friendly.
> 
> It's the same for the users who are bothered by this behavior: I stumble 
> over it with certain regularity, but still haven't disabled the SPC 
> binding in my init script.

I didn't say I'm against any change in this behavior.  Stefan proposed
at least two alternatives that produce basically the same user-facing
behavior when SPC is supposed to be interpreted verbatim, so they come
very close to the alternative that you like better, but still stop
short of breaking someone's muscle memory.

> Those those dislike the change, however, will read the necessary 
> invocation in NEWS.

I think you greatly overestimate the number of people who read NEWS,
even when they have some reason to look up a specific change there.