Subject: bug#60505: 29.0.60; Fido Mode and Tramp Completion

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 15:51:03 -0500

>> I didn't remember this part of the design, but it sounds good and does
>> make changes to that part (like the proposed patch) "safer", so it's
>> probably OK to try it on `master`.
> There is no special design for it. Ordinary file name handler machinery.

I was referring to the design choice of approximating "completion
context" by "partial Tramp file name".

>> I wonder how this patch interacts with `locate-dominating-file`.
> I'll check tomorrow. But since there isn't a slash in such filenames
> (except the leading one), I expect it shall work. Needs more testing,
> this case and other use cases.

I was thinking of what happens when `locate-dominating-file` does:

      try /ssh:host:./foo/bar/.git
      try /ssh:host:./foo/.git
      try /ssh:host:./.git
    ? try /ssh:.git      ?
      try /.git

-- Stefan