Subject: bug#60505: 29.0.60; Fido Mode and Tramp Completion

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 21:27:33 +0000

>
> Have you even tried to check the PoC patch I've sent?
>

I did, of course.  It circumvents (a part of) the bug for the flex 
completion style indeed.  But alas it doesn't really work.  For example:

emacs -Q -l tramp -f fido-mode
C-x C-f /ssh: TAB M-down

inserts a wrong completion candidate in the minibuffer.

More importantly (as I unsuccessfully tried to convey) it circumvents the 
bug in the implementation of a particular completion mechanism, which is 
not the place where the bug lies and should be fixed.  It is not 
reasonable to expect that all existing and future file completion 
mechanisms should implement specific rules to deal with the Tramp syntax 
(or, for that matter, with the syntax of any other package).

>
> In that case I recommend you to abstain from using Tramp.
>

I do not use Tramp (and I do not use Fido, either).  I'm only trying to 
help confused users here.

> I'm so fed up.

I'm sorry to hear that what I said annoyed you.  Please consider that I 
spent a significant amount of time on this bug, too, and that I proposed 
at least three patches to fix it.