Subject: bug#51386: closed (Re: bug#60505: 29.0.60; Fido Mode and Tramp Completion)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:28:03 +0000

Your bug report

#60505: 29.0.50; fido-vertical-mode: ssh host completion

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60505: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60505
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60505: 29.0.60; Fido Mode and Tramp Completion
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 20:26:51 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.2

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> There are still some cases it doesn't work as expected (user name
> completion to be mentioned); I'll continue to work on this.

This works now fine, and also multi-hop completion passes the tests. I'm
closing this bug (and the merged ones).

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.0.50; fido-vertical-mode: ssh host completion
From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:37:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

if I do this from emacs -Q:

- M-x fido-vertical-mode
- C-x C-f
- Type /ssh:
- Press TAB

I see the *Completions* buffer with this content:

Click on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
ssh:
sshx:
sshfs:

If I instead do not enable fido-vertical-mode, and I do:

- C-x C-f
- Type /ssh:
- Press TAB

I see this in the *Completions* buffer:

Click on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
ssh:work-serv:
ssh:server:

Which are the hosts coming from my ~/.ssh/config, and this is what I was 
expecting with fido-vertical-mode.

I noticed fido-vertical-mode uses icomplete--fido-mode-setup, which among other 
things sets (with setq-local) completion-styles to '(flex).

Now, if I use icomplete-vertical-mode with completion-styles set to
'(basic partial-completion flex), pressing TAB after /ssh: shows me the hosts I 
was looking for.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.18, cairo 
version 1.16.0)
  of 2021-10-25 built on hathaway
Repository revision: 79f7e87da5037f22be07954bb8000ee88e18e515
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   icomplete-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tramp-cache tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
format-spec auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache
json map cus-start comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cus-load icomplete
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 114626 9140)
  (symbols 48 10350 1)
  (strings 32 28393 2886)
  (string-bytes 1 959527)
  (vectors 16 19385)
  (vector-slots 8 325769 14133)
  (floats 8 45 290)
  (intervals 56 506 0)
  (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu