Subject: bug#60505: 29.0.60; Fido Mode and Tramp Completion

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 18:59:40 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>>>>>> @@ -2773,7 +2773,7 @@ tramp-completion-file-name-handler
>>>>>>    "Invoke Tramp file name completion handler for OPERATION and ARGS.
>>>>>>  Falls back to normal file name handler if no Tramp file name handler exists."
>>>>>>    (if-let
>>>>>> -      ((fn (and tramp-mode
>>>>>> +      ((fn (and tramp-mode minibuffer-completing-file-name
>>>>>>  		(assoc operation tramp-completion-file-name-handler-alist))))
>>>
>>> Looks like a "quick&dirty workaround" rather than fix.
>>
>> Perhaps. But how could I tell Emacs, that this file name handler is
>> meant for (interactive) file name completion only?
>
> You can't.  Instead it should work regardless.

Then we're back at the beginning. The heart of my patch is

(file-name-directory "/ssh:host") => "/ssh:"

And this shall happen only in read-file-name.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.