Subject: Re: bug#60505: 29.0.60; Fido Mode and Tramp Completion

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 18:26:06 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> I've played with this idea, and the appended patch makes it work,
> indeed. I had to adapt expand-file-name, file-exists-p,
> file-name-directory and file-name-nondirectory, but the changes look
> simple. It works for me now for the default completion styles (basic
> partial-completion emacs22) as well as for fido-mode, with both the
> default and simplified Tramp syntax.
>
> It doesn't work (yet) for the separated Tramp syntax, but this isn't our
> major problem, and could be fixed later. Could people check how it plays
> in their environment?

I've improved the patch, and I've committed it to master. It works now
for all different Tramp syntaxes as well as for all completion styles
except `initials' and `shorthand'. Likely, these two are not so relevant
for file name completion.

There's also a new test, tramp-test26-interactive-file-name-completion.
It doesn't cover yet user name completion and multi-hop file name
completion, these are still open. I'll keep the bugs open until this has
been fixed as well.

> Perhaps. So this patch isn't a candidate for Emacs 29.1. I would push it
> to the master branch (when there is positive feedback), and I would also
> add it to the tramp-2-6-stable branch in the Tramp git repo. By this,
> the next Tramp 2.6 release on GNU ELPA would contain this change as
> well, and we could get broader feedback.

The upcoming Tramp 2.6.0.2, being released on GNU ELPA later this month,
will contain the fixes.

Best regards, Michael.