Subject: bug#60500: 29.0.60; typescript-ts-mode and tsx-ts-mode has inconsistent features/fontification wrt other ts major-modes

From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 21:05:37 +0100

Typescript-ts-mode and tsx-ts-mode does not use the "standardized" 
features and fontification levels requested by Stefan/Eli.

Major inconsistencies:

* highlighting ALL variables/properties, not just declarations
* highlight call-expressions on syntax-highlightingh-level 3 (should be 
on 4, using "function"-feature)
* no syntax-highlighting for method-names inside interfaces.

Attached is a patch which fixes these 3 issues and makes it much more 
consistent with csharp-ts-mode.

*Theo:* Could you take this for a test-drive and see if you see any issues?

*Yuan:* Can we get this installed on Emacs-29 branch or is it too late 
now? :)

--

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-01-01 built on ThinkPad-T14s
Repository revision: f12f72b0e09c7a45098955c1304499963a5eb9a7
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.10

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Magit

Minor modes in effect:
   global-undo-tree-mode: t
   undo-tree-mode: t
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   global-nlinum-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   override-global-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20221202.1727/transient hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug git-rebase helm-bookmark helm-net helm-adaptive
magit-bookmark bookmark mail-extr typescript-ts-mode js magit-extras
flyspell ispell undo-tree queue magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit
log-edit message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section crm compat-27
compat-26 executable helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-info
misearch multi-isearch bug-reference face-remap disp-table elec-pair
csharp-mode c-ts-mode treesit cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-git
diff-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn winner ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs
tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf dbus add-log ido-completing-read+
memoize minibuf-eldef elisp-slime-nav paredit highlight-symbol flycheck
editorconfig editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
etags fileloop generator company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb company eglot
external-completion array jsonrpc ert ewoc debug backtrace flymake-proc
flymake warnings which-func hideshow eww url-queue thingatpt shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr helm-imenu pcase imenu
ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs helm-mode
helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external
image-dired-util xdg image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-load icons
wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async helm-config delsel autorevert filenotify
yasnippet derived nlinum linum ido-yes-or-no advice ido edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode xref project server hl-line
pixel-scroll cua-base compile-eslint compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring doom-modeline doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env
doom-modeline-core all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons shrink-path rx f f-shortdoc shortdoc
text-property-search s dash compat compat-macs dracula-theme cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf
flycheck-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads bmx-mode-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads async-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
projectile-autoloads nlinum-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads
magit-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads
crontab-mode-autoloads ido-yes-or-no-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
cargo-autoloads ido-completing-read+-autoloads memoize-autoloads
paredit-autoloads company-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
powershell-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads
yaml-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads bui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
lv-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads ht-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads transient-autoloads compat-autoloads
cmake-mode-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads info
dash-autoloads s-autoloads popup-autoloads queue-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1404910 128978)
  (symbols 48 47016 24)
  (strings 32 203095 12541)
  (string-bytes 1 6450958)
  (vectors 16 95226)
  (vector-slots 8 1840465 212702)
  (floats 8 890 1003)
  (intervals 56 86732 4097)
  (buffers 984 44))

-- 
Vennlig hilsen
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>

From 1366beb59c18c2e2c125bfff5d5f26d97059cbb4 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Jostein=20Kj=C3=B8nigsen?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 20:56:41 +0100
Subject: [PATCH 2/2] lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el: fontification
 improvements.

- highlight method-definitins in interfaces.
- only highlight variable-declarations, not variables
  everywhere (consistency with other modes).
- move highlighting of method invocations to level 4
---
 lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el | 20 +++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 9 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el b/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el
index a0ba425b3e9..7e064d20f25 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el
@@ -167,6 +167,8 @@ typescript-ts-mode--font-lock-settings
 
      (method_definition
       name: (property_identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face)
+     (method_signature
+      name: (property_identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face)
      (required_parameter (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
      (optional_parameter (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
 
@@ -211,10 +213,8 @@ typescript-ts-mode--font-lock-settings
 
      (enum_assignment name: (property_identifier) @font-lock-type-face)
 
-     (assignment_expression
-      left: [(identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face
-             (member_expression
-              property: (property_identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)])
+     (variable_declarator
+      name: (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
 
      (for_in_statement
       left: (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
@@ -242,10 +242,6 @@ typescript-ts-mode--font-lock-settings
       name: (property_identifier) @font-lock-property-face)
      (public_field_definition
       name: (property_identifier) @font-lock-property-face)
-     (member_expression
-      object: (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
-     (member_expression
-      property: (_) @font-lock-property-face)
 
      (pair key: (property_identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
 
@@ -263,9 +259,11 @@ typescript-ts-mode--font-lock-settings
       left: [(identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face
              (member_expression
               property: (property_identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face)]
-      right: [(function) (arrow_function)])
+      right: [(function) (arrow_function)]))
 
-     (call_expression
+   :language language
+   :feature 'function
+   '((call_expression
       function:
       [(identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face
        (member_expression
@@ -412,7 +410,7 @@ tsx-ts-mode
                 '((comment declaration)
                   (keyword string escape-sequence)
                   (constant expression identifier jsx number pattern property)
-                  (bracket delimiter)))
+                  (function bracket delimiter)))
 
     (treesit-major-mode-setup)))
 
-- 
2.37.2