Subject: Re: bug#60490: 29.0.60; sqlite-mode-open-file fails to work over tramp

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:10:08 +0200

> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:49:49 +0530
> From: Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >> In that case, it would be better to show a warning message that
> >> it's not supported instead of failing with errors that gives no
> >> hint to the user.
> > 
> > I disagree that we should show a warning in such cases.  The user
> > asked Emacs to do something, and Emacs couldn't; the appropriate
> > response is to signal an error, not to show a warning.  Showing a
> > warning would mean we don't abort whatever Lisp program that was
> > trying to do something we cannot do.
> > 
> > I agree that a more targeted error message would be beneficial;
> > patches for that are welcome as well.
> 
> An error message was what I meant.

I've now added a more meaningful error message to sqlite-mode.el.

> >> Also, Emacs may also show the related bug number regarding such
> >> issues so that interested users can subscribe to know updates.
> > 
> > We don't have any infrastructure in Emacs for doing stuff like that.
> > It would be a useful feature, I think (although not easy to
> > implement), but please submit a separate feature request for it.
> 
> I was suggesting to show an error message like:
> "sqlite-xxx is not supported over tramp, see bug#xxx"

Sorry, no: I don't think it's right for us to have references to bug
reports in our sources, let alone in error messages.  It's a long-term
maintenance problem, especially when we change the issue tracker.