Subject: bug#60470: closed (Re: bug#60470: 26.3; Doc string of `recentf-keep')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 17:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60470: 26.3; Doc string of `recentf-keep'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60470: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60470
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60470: 26.3; Doc string of `recentf-keep'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 19:51:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 16:39:40 +0000
> 
> Please consider saying in the doc string what it means to "keep" a file
> name in the recent list.
> 
> The doc string goes into what it means to be a predicate, but it says
> nothing, really, about what this option means/does, because it tells you
> nothing about what "keeping" amounts to.

I've rad the doc string, and I see nothing wrong with it.  In
particular, I did find there the explanation of what "keeping" means.

So I'm closing this bug.

> Also, a nit: when used as a noun phrase, "filename" should be "file
> name".  (When used as an adjective before a noun phrase it should be
> "file-name".  We use (should use) "filename" only in some function
> etc. names, not in the doc.

Noted.

Subject: 26.3; Doc string of `recentf-keep'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 16:39:40 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Please consider saying in the doc string what it means to "keep" a file
name in the recent list.

The doc string goes into what it means to be a predicate, but it says
nothing, really, about what this option means/does, because it tells you
nothing about what "keeping" amounts to.

Also, a nit: when used as a noun phrase, "filename" should be "file
name".  (When used as an adjective before a noun phrase it should be
"file-name".  We use (should use) "filename" only in some function
etc. names, not in the doc.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''