Subject: bug#60466: closed (Re: bug#60466: 30.0.50; python-shell-send-region fails when the region starts in the middle of the first line)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 08:59:01 +0000

Your bug report

#60466: 30.0.50; python-shell-send-region fails when the region starts in the middle of the first line

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60466: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60466
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60466: 30.0.50; python-shell-send-region fails when the region starts in the middle of the first line
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 10:59:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 21:22:44 +0900
> From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
> 
> `python-shell-send-region' fails with the following error when the
> region starts in the middle of the first line.
> 
> Wrong type argument: wholenump, -1
> 
> This is caused by the code to insert the coding cookie in
> `python-shell-buffer-substring'.  I think that the current code
> assumes that the region begins at line beginning position.  However,
> there are some use-cases where the region starts in the middle of the
> line as discussed in #60142.  So I think the special treatment in case
> of point-min should be extended to case of first line.  Attached is a
> patch to implement this.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; python-shell-send-region fails when the region starts in the middle of the first line
From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 21:22:44 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

`python-shell-send-region' fails with the following error when the
region starts in the middle of the first line.

Wrong type argument: wholenump, -1

This is caused by the code to insert the coding cookie in
`python-shell-buffer-substring'.  I think that the current code
assumes that the region begins at line beginning position.  However,
there are some use-cases where the region starts in the middle of the
line as discussed in #60142.  So I think the special treatment in case
of point-min should be extended to case of first line.  Attached is a
patch to implement this.

--

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-01-01 built on ubuntu
Repository revision: 9596e683834a36060497903b47b870b338d88095
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils term/screen term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45803 5938)
 (symbols 48 5813 0)
 (strings 32 14944 1951)
 (string-bytes 1 421917)
 (vectors 16 8284)
 (vector-slots 8 104561 8256)
 (floats 8 24 281)
 (intervals 56 200 0)
 (buffers 984 10))