Subject: bug#60466: 30.0.50; python-shell-send-region fails when the region starts in the middle of the first line

From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 21:22:44 +0900

Hello,

`python-shell-send-region' fails with the following error when the
region starts in the middle of the first line.

Wrong type argument: wholenump, -1

This is caused by the code to insert the coding cookie in
`python-shell-buffer-substring'.  I think that the current code
assumes that the region begins at line beginning position.  However,
there are some use-cases where the region starts in the middle of the
line as discussed in #60142.  So I think the special treatment in case
of point-min should be extended to case of first line.  Attached is a
patch to implement this.

--

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-01-01 built on ubuntu
Repository revision: 9596e683834a36060497903b47b870b338d88095
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils term/screen term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45803 5938)
 (symbols 48 5813 0)
 (strings 32 14944 1951)
 (string-bytes 1 421917)
 (vectors 16 8284)
 (vector-slots 8 104561 8256)
 (floats 8 24 281)
 (intervals 56 200 0)
 (buffers 984 10))