Subject: bug#60464: 29.0.60; Regression - pcomplete-arg fails with argument 'last

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:18:07 +0100

On 1/1/23 17:59, Gregory Heytings wrote:
> After working a bit more on this bug, I concluded that what Stefan 
> initially suggested, to use the string representation of the value, is 
> safer than trying to extract the string corresponding to the argument that 
> the user typed in from the command line.

This approach seems totally wrong to me. You now introduced a third
representation. pcomplete-arg returns the string representation (1) with
the value attached as second representation (2). For other scenarios it
returns the string argument itself from the command line (3).

Also the approach is pointless. Why would the caller of the function
want to get the string representation, given that the original value is
available as text property?

I suggest you go back to the way you implemented this before and return
the actual command line string with the value attached as text property.
I don't see why that should be less safe. It is just a matter of
determining the correct buffer boundaries.

Daniel