Subject: bug#60460: 30.0.50; [FR] avoid putting remote files to local trash

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 10:20:08 +0100

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jean,

> * Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> [2023-01-07 15:51]:
>> > We could lock this proposed change behind a flag to retain backward
>> > compatibility for those who still prefer to trash remote files by moving
>> > them into local trash directory.  Regardless, the behavior before and
>> > after the change for local files should remain the same.
>>
>> We've used this approach in Emacs 27 (Tramp 2.4), but it wasn't robust
>> enough. So this was removed from Tramp, knowing that users could define
>> their own `system-move-file-to-trash'.
>
> Eli said that is not for users to define, as those functions are
> defined by developers on Mac OS or Windows, and are not the way for
> users to customize their Emacs.

Right, it is not the recommended way (and the Tramp doc doesn't mention
it). The recommended way for remote files are connection-local variables.

Best regards, Michael.